pumpkin- pecan skillet cake with salted butterscotch glaze
Yield: 10 servings
Prep Time: 20 min Cook Time: 45 min
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) salted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
1 cup Gold Medal® White Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup Gold Medal® All-Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans (optional)
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 cup butterscotch (or caramel) syrup
1 to 2 tablespoons milk
flaky sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 10-inch cast-iron skillet.
2. To make the cake: In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer to combine the butter and sugar until they are well mixed. Mix in the eggs, vanilla and pumpkin.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Add the buttermilk and mix until incorporated. Stir in the pecans (if using). Scrape the batter evenly into the prepared skillet and smooth the top. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until the center is set (a toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean). Let the cake cool completely in the skillet.
4. To make the glaze: In a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, syrup and 1 tablespoon of milk. If the mixture is too thick, add another tablespoon of milk. It should be of thick “drizzling” consistency.
5. Drizzle the glaze onto the cake in the skillet. Save the extra glaze (in a covered container) to add extra drizzle to individual servings. If you’re into adding sea salt, sprinkle it on top!