2.5 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
dash of ground cloves
1 (12-ounce) package butterscotch chips
1 (7-ounce) jar marshmallow creme
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
1. Line an 8-inch or 9-inch square pan with foil.
2. Butter the foil generously and set aside.
3. Bring sugars, butter, half-and-half, pumpkin, and spices to a boil over medium to medium-low heat in a heavy-bottomed 5 quart pot, stirring frequently.
4. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, to the soft ball stage using a candy thermometer.
5. Remove from heat and stir in butterscotch chips until fully melted. This takes several minutes.
6. Add the marshmallow creme and stir until blended.
7. Add the vanilla and nuts and stir until combined.
8. Pour into prepared dish and cool.
9. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container.