YIELD: 6 extra-large ice cream sandwiches
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: about 23 mintues
TOTAL TIME: at least 4+ hours, chilling time
10 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/4 sticks), melted
2 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons brewed coffee (leftover from the morning brew is fine), optional but recommend to enhance chocolate flavor and does not make brownies taste like coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (natural or Dutch-process, I used Hershey’s natural)
1 teaspoon instant espresso granules, optional but recommend to enhance chocolate flavor and does not make brownies taste like coffee
1/4 teaspoon salt, optional and to taste
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 of one half-gallon Dreyer’s Slow Churned Ice Cream with Half the Fat in Cookie Dough flavor (about 4 cups), slightly softened
Cookie Dough, optional
1 batch Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls (gluten-free) – I used mini-chocolate chips rather than regular-sized
- Brownies – Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9-by-9-inch baking pan with aluminum foil leaving overhang on the sides, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, add the butter and heat on high power to melt, about 1 minute. Allow butter to cool momentarily so you don’t scramble the eggs.
- Add the eggs, sugars, optional coffee, vanilla, and whisk to combine.
- Add the cocoa powder, optional espresso granules, optional salt, and whisk to combine. If your cocoa powder is lumpy, it could take a couple minutes of vigorous whisking.
- Add the flour and stir until just combined, don’t overmix.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until done; don’t overbake. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out mostly clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. Allow brownies to cool in pan for at least 1 hour before slicing.
- Slice the brownie in half horizontally, right down the middle. Leave one side in the pan and carefully remove the other side (a large spatula is helpful); set aside.
- Ice Cream – Evenly and lightly spread ice cream over the brownie half in the pan. If ice cream isn’t soft enough, it will tear the brownies when you try to spread it. Microwave for about 15 seconds, or as necessary.
- Cookie Dough – Optionally, make a batch and crumble small pieces over the ice cream.
- Top ice cream and optional cookie dough layer with the reserved brownie half. Cover with the unused portion of foil, creating a semi-tight ‘bundle’.
- Place pan in freezer and allow it to firm up, at least 3 hours.
- Remove from freezer, lift the slab out with foil overhang, place it on a cutting board, and with a very sharp knife, slice into desired sizes. I made 6 extra-large sandwiches. It will take some pressure to slice through it, but it’s do-able. If necessary, wait a few minutes for it to soften before slicing.
- Serve immediately. Sandwiches will keep airtight in the freezer for up to 3 months.